St Luke's was consecrated in 1847 having been built in 1843 under the New Parishes Act. It was constructed from red sandstone bricks but these were eroded by the excessive air pollution caused by the industries of that day. In the period 1923-1928, approval was given for repairs. Its appearance today, differs to when it was built because of the restoration work it has had to undergo. (The Architect was William Bourne, who was also responsible for the architecture of St James and St Johns in Dudley and St Johns in Swindon. He was also the Architect who designed St James School, built in 1842 in Salop Street, Dudley, near St James Church. The school was moved to the Black Country Living Museum in 1991. William Bourne's birth was circa 1811 and he died in 1870).